Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Don't Say the "R" Word

On average, women speak upwards of 20,000 words per day. Men say somewhere in the neighborhood of 7,000.

For Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Arnold Schwarzenegger was paid $15 million. He spoke about 700 words in the film. That’s $21,428.57 per word.
  • Hasta la vista, baby=$85,714
  • Stay here; I’ll be back=$107,142
  • Not bad.

 Famous Stutters: James Earl Jones, Winston Churchill, Samuel L. Jackson (It’s actually why he say’s the f-bomb so much. Swearing helps stop the stutter!), Moses, and Porky the Pig.

Don’t Say the “R” Word
Man of Steel, stuttering, relationships, romance
Henry Cavil in DC's Man of Steel
This one started at the theater.
We went to see Man of Steel this past weekend. And it was awesome! But thirty minutes into the movie, a guy leaves the auditorium in favor of concessions or the bathroom or whatever. The point is--he blocked my view of the screen for about fifteen seconds as he made his way slowly down the steps.  Five minutes later, Henry Cavill is freaking shirtless and on fire. This is the moment the guy chooses to return. Again he blocks the screen and six feet of hotness. Only this time, he sits down and gets back up, moves to another seat, then gets up again and just starts roaming in the aisle. I’m sitting there thinking, freaking seriously? (Actually, I had much stronger language for him.)
So I sat forward, cupped both hands around my face, and whisper-yelled, “Can’t See!”  He immediately ducked his head, whispering an apology as he finally chose the right seat and stayed in it for the rest of the movie.

The backlash hit as soon as Man of Steel ended.

Nathan turned a wide-eyed stare of disbelief to me. “I can’t believe you did that.”
“Did what?” After being dazzled by Superman’s amazing blue eyes and perfect abs for two hours, was I really supposed to know what Nathan was talking about?
“You yelled at a disabled guy.”
“What? He wasn’t disabled.”
“Yes,” Nathan insisted.  “He was.” 
“No he was not.” I rolled my eyes. “He was in the way! Come on. You saw him.”
“He got lost, Reggie. He couldn’t find his seat.”
Seeing I still wasn’t convinced, Nathan glanced around the room. He pointed quickly. “There he is, right there. Look.”
I followed the direction of his finger, and spotted the screen blocker. Now, I gotta admit. In better lighting, my therapist eye could spot that his movements were a little off, a bit uncoordinated and jerky. It was possible…there was a slight chance that he did possess some sort of disability. But I wasn’t ready to admit my bad behavior to Nathan. “Well,” I said, turning my nose up and my face away, “if he’s that challenged, someone should have held his hand and taken him to the bathroom and back.”
 Nathan just stared at me. I responded to his seriously reproving glare with laughter.
“You’re unbelievable.”
“Whatever. Like you’re a saint.”
“I don’t laugh at disabled people.”
“I wasn’t laughing at him. I was laughing at you trying to make me feel guilty.”
“But you did yell at him.”
“Oh my god. That wasn’t yelling.”
Nathan pinched his nose impatiently. “Reggie—“
It was time to redirect. “So,” I said petulantly. “You pretended to feed homeless people.”
He shook his head. “What the hell are you talking about?”
“Oh how easily we forget. It was just after you started college. You saw a homeless man with a sign, sitting in the median. At first you drove right by him. But then you got a better idea.” Nathan’s puzzled expression gradually cleared as the story continued. “You went to McDonalds drive thru and ordered a meal. Then you ate the food, put the trash in the bag, drove back to the homeless guy, and handed him the bag. He was so thankful; he even said God bless you.”
A guilty grin spread across Nathan's face.  
“He opened the bag as you drove off, discovered it was only trash and started waving and yelling as you watched from the rearview mirror, laughing at him hysterically.”
Nathan chuckled in his sexy baritone laugh. “Okay. I might have done that. I can’t believe I told you.” He ran a hand through his hair. “Maybe that’s why I failed midterms that semester.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget